Supporting your child with special needs

Some children have learning difficulties or challenges that require individual education plans (IEPs) and/or additional supports. School boards have an obligation to provide special education programs and services to these students; and are provided funding based on enrollment of students who require it

If you have concerns about your child’s learning or special needs, your first contact should always be with the classroom teacher. Get in touch with the teacher to make an appointment to discuss your concerns.

The teacher may also reach out to you to discuss concerns regarding your child’s learning or special educational needs. Your conversation with the classroom teacher is the first step in ensuring your child receives the appropriate programming and support to meet their needs and has a successful school experience. The classroom teacher may involve the special education teacher, the principal or school board personnel such as a speech-language pathologist to seek support for your child.

Your child’s needs may be met through accommodations (strategies the teacher puts in place in order for your child to be successful at grade level), or an IEP. Some children require modifications to their learning experience and curriculum, to better meet their education needs.